Mild breakouts or an occasional rash that are easily treated with over-the-counter (OTC) products are typically not a concern. So, how do you know when your skin concern requires same-day emergency dermatology in McLean, Virginia? Here’s a guide to help you.
What Symptoms Indicate I Need an Emergency Dermatology Appointment?
There are situations where immediate medical care is needed. These can be life-threatening and shouldn’t wait for attention. If you experience shortness of breath, a high fever, tightness/swelling in your throat, abnormal bleeding from a rash, or streaks of red, call 911 or head to your local emergency room.
The following are common non-life-threatening conditions that likely need same-day care:
- Poison oak/ivy/sumac: If you have any of these, you might notice itching, redness, or hives. It is also possible to have blisters that rupture and crust over.
- Impetigo: Because impetigo can spread, it’s important to get it treated as soon as possible. Small red spots may occur around your mouth, nose, forearms, or hands. It can also cause blistering.
- Ringworm: This is a fungus that also causes an athlete’s foot and jock itch. It can be transmitted from person to person. Symptoms include rings that are flat in shape with a scaly and elevated border. Ringworm is itchy and might burn.
- Shingles: If you’ve had shingles, you know how painful it can be. It can also cause numbness. Shingles typically only affect one side of the body with a red rash that eventually forms blisters.
- Cellulitis: This is a condition that can cause serious health problems if not properly treated. Cellulitis is a bacterial infection that appears as blotchy, red skin. The infected area might also have blisters and feel swollen and tender.
- Suspicious moles/lesions: Any time you see an odd mole or lesion on your body, you should have it checked by your dermatologist, especially if it changes color, size, or texture. This could be a sign of skin cancer, and early detection is key to successful treatment.
Do I Need a Same-Day Appointment for Acne?
As mentioned, mild acne that is easily remedied with OTC products usually doesn’t need same-day emergency dermatology in McLean, Virginia. However, there is more than one type of acne: fungal, hormonal, cystic, and nodular.
These forms of acne can appear anywhere on the body. The most painful and troublesome are cystic and nodular acne. It’s necessary to see your dermatologist for these types of acne as soon as you can for proper treatment.
How Does a Dermatologist Diagnose and Treat My Skin Condition?
In many cases, a comprehensive visual exam of your skin, scalp, and mucus membranes is enough to diagnose your skin condition. If this doesn’t provide enough information, your dermatologist might want tests done such as a biopsy, skin culture, or scrapings. To diagnose potential allergies, you might need prick or patch tests.
Treatment depends on your diagnosis. The good news is there are numerous products available and skin conditions usually respond very well. For chronic conditions, you’ll learn the best ways to manage your symptoms.
The most common treatment options for your skin are antibiotics, prescription topical creams/ointments, oral medications, and steroid pills/injections/creams. In severe cases, surgery might be needed.
If You Need Same-Day Emergency Dermatology in McLean, Virginia, Call Dr. Marjan Yousefi Today!
There is no need to suffer from itching, pain, burning, or other irritating symptoms when our team is here to help! Even if you are unsure if your condition is an emergency, please call us anyway! It’s better to be cautious and avoid a more serious problem. Contact our office at 703-255-5070 when you need an appointment today for quick relief!