There is a common misconception that one should only see a dermatologist when a skin problem arises. But if you think about it, you still go to your primary care provider (PCP) for regular check-ups even when you’re not sick. So, why wouldn’t you see a dermatologist regularly too? If you want this specialist on your personal healthcare team, how to find the best dermatologist in Vienna, Virginia is the next thing to consider. Follow these pro tips, and you’ll be well on your way!
What Is a Dermatologist?
A dermatologist is a medically licensed doctor who specializes in treating disorders of the skin, hair, and nails. They treat people of all ages and skin types. When searching for the best dermatologist, you should look for the following:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Medical Degree
- Dermatology residency (minimum of three years and 12,000 to 16,000 hours of experience treating patients)
What Are the Benefits of Having a Dermatologist as Part of My Personal Health Care Team?
Skin conditions can be incredibly difficult to self-diagnose. What you might think is a simple mole could turn out to be something serious. In fact, one in five people is likely to experience some form of skin cancer in their lifetime.
It’s also not uncommon for an underlying medical condition, one you might not be aware of, to present itself as a skin, hair, or nail disorder. Often, a dermatologist becomes your first method of detection and treatment.
So, How to Find the Best Dermatologist in Vienna, Virginia?
You should take as much care finding a dermatologist as you do finding your primary care provider. Here are seven of the top considerations to take into account when choosing the right one for you:
- Begin your search by asking for recommendations from friends, family, and co-workers you trust. You should also ask your PCP
- Ask your insurance carrier about in-network dermatologists. Having insurance coverage will certainly save you from out-of-pocket expenses. You should also find out what types of treatments are covered.
- Take the time to read online testimonials. Check the dermatologist’s website and social media pages, as well as reputable review sites.
- Verify credentials. Don’t just assume what you see is what you get. Put in the time to actually verify their education, training, and special certifications.
- Take a look at the facility in which the dermatologist practices and their hospital affiliations. A facility should adhere to strict protocols for safety, quality, and cleanliness. This is a good time to find out whether the dermatologist uses state-of-the-art technology as well.
- When possible, schedule a dermatology consultation before making a decision. Choosing your specialist is a big decision, and the one you choose should make you feel at ease when discussing your health concerns. You should feel heard and understood. You should also feel welcomed by the staff.
- Other factors you might want to consider include convenience/location, after-hours care, and the option for telehealth visits.
Is There More Than One Kind of Dermatologist?
Yes, there are multiple types of dermatology specialists. A medical dermatologist is one that focuses on treating the health of your skin more than its appearance. Conditions including acne, rosacea, psoriasis and skin cancer fall under the category of medical dermatology.
It’s not uncommon for a medical dermatologist to perform surgeries as well, including procedures such as Mohs surgery to treat skin cancer.
A cosmetic dermatologist goes through the same education and training as a medical dermatologist but focuses more on the appearance of your skin. This is the dermatologist you go to if you want anti-aging injections, laser hair removal, chemical peels, or other cosmetic services.
Many patients don’t realize this, but the secret to how to find the best dermatologist in Vienna, Virginia is finding one that offers both medical and cosmetic dermatology. That way you have secured a singular, highly qualified go-to source you can trust for all of your skin health needs whether they are purely aesthetic or related to a medical condition.
Can a Dermatologist Recommend a Skincare Regimen?
There is nobody better to discuss your skincare regime with than your dermatologist. If you’re having difficulty treating a certain skin, hair, or nail disorder, it might be as simple as changing the products you use at home.
In other cases, you might benefit from the right at-home skincare regime combined with prescription medications or a particular cosmetic treatment such as microneedling or microdermabrasion.
If you need advice on what products to use, take a detailed list of your current products with you to your appointment and explain how you have been taking care of your skin.
How Often Should I See a Dermatologist?
Your skin is the largest organ you have, and it’s your first line of defense against environmental pollutants and bacteria. It also helps regulate your body temperature. Believe it or not, it can change quite a bit in 365 days.
It is recommended you see your dermatologist at least once a year for a full-body skin check. Even if you are healthy with no history of series conditions like skin cancer, you should still schedule annual visits with your dermatologist.
I’m Excited to Meet the Best Dermatologist in Vienna! Where Should I Go?
Board-certified dermatologist Dr. Marjan Yousefi specializes in both medical and cosmetic dermatology. She leads our team with the belief that all patients deserve healthy, beautiful skin. We want you to have amazing results, no matter the reason for your visit. That’s why we use only the most advanced treatment options, techniques, and technology.
We would be honored to be a part of your healthcare team, so why not give us a call? Contact us at 703-255-5070 today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Yousefi.