It isn’t easy living with acne. In fact, it can make you feel rather hopeless. It’s time to meet with an acne specialist dermatologist in Vienna, Virginia, and see how they can help you with long-term acne treatment for healthy skin and renewed confidence.
What Is Acne? What Is It Caused By?
Acne is an inflammatory skin condition that occurs when your hair follicles become clogged with dead skin cells and oil. This results in blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples. Acne varies greatly in severity, from an occasional breakout to persistent, painful cystic acne.
Acne is caused by your sebaceous glands producing too much sebum, an oily substance responsible for lubricating and hydrating your hair and skin to prevent them from drying out. When excess sebum occurs, it mixes with dead skin cells and forms a plug in the hair follicle.
When pimples, whiteheads, or blackheads develop due to this, it exposes the clogged follicles to bacteria, resulting in nodules, cysts, papules, or pustules.
There are many reasons why you may be experiencing acne. This includes hormonal changes in both men and women, especially increased testosterone, genetics, certain medications, pregnancy, excessive oil or grease on your skin, and polycystic ovarian syndrome, to name a few.
Ultimately, acne can occur as a result of both simple and complex circumstances and must be addressed accordingly.
How Can a Dermatologist Who Specializes in Acne Help Me?
Dermatologists are doctors who specialize in conditions involving your hair, nails, and skin. They are specifically trained to diagnose and treat more than 3,000 conditions including acne. Many dermatologists even specialize in acne diagnosis and treatment.
Meeting with a dermatologist can be life-changing. They are capable of assessing your skin and determining the type of acne you have. Then they are able to create a treatment plan that addresses not only the acne but the core root of the problem.
If you find that you have recurring or persistent acne, consider talking with a dermatologist for long-term acne treatment, ensuring virtually permanent relief from acne.
What Is a Typical Consultation Like With a Dermatologist?
You might be nervous about your initial visit with a dermatologist. Don’t be! These professionals have your comfort in mind and maintain a judgment-free environment. Here’s what you can expect during your consultation with an acne specialist.
To prepare, have the necessary documents prepared and ready to take with you, including your ID and insurance information. This helps streamline the process. Then, take time to make a list of questions you have, current products you’re using, medical history, and medications you’re on.
Beyond that, there’s no other prep work required prior to your appointment. All that’s required now is to show up in a timely manner with a clean, bare face. Skip on makeup or other products.
To start, you and your dermatologist will discuss the topics mentioned above, going over your medical history, how long you’ve experienced acne, and current medications or supplements, as well as other helpful information. This gives your dermatologist a better understanding of your health.
After this discussion, your dermatologist will perform a skin exam. Make sure to let them know where you’re experiencing acne and where it’s at its worst. This skin assessment allows them to diagnose the exact type of acne you have if you weren’t already sure.
It is the time to discuss your treatment options as well as lifestyle changes and skin care products to incorporate into your daily routine for acne improvement.
What Are My Options for Acne Treatment?
There are plenty of acne treatments available to suit your needs. Treatments are customizable and determined by your dermatologist based upon the severity of your acne, past treatments, and the potential conditions or medications contributing to your acne. Your options include:
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels are acid solutions applied to the skin to create controlled damage and remove the top layer of dead and dull skin. Chemical peels are also capable of decreasing sebum production and reducing pore size, leading to fewer breakouts.
- Facials: While facials aren’t necessarily a cure, they are incredibly beneficial for soothing acne. They work by cleansing the skin to remove harmful bacteria and oil, unclogging the pores, reducing inflammation and oil production, and then hydrating the skin to soothe it.
- Laser and Light Therapies: Isolaz, blue light and red light therapy, and more have shown efficacy in treating and managing acne.
- Oral Medications: In cases of severe or stubborn acne, oral antibiotics, hormonal treatments such as birth control pills, and isotretinoin are highly effective for long-term acne management.
- Over-the-Counter Products: Not all acne requires a prescription or intense treatment. Your dermatologist might just want you to use products with salicylic acid, glycolic acid, sulfur, or benzoyl peroxide.
- Topical Medications: Azelaic acid, topical retinoids, prescription-strength benzoyl peroxide, and topical antibiotics suit many types of acne and acne severity.
These treatments are at their most efficient when combined with a healthy diet and lifestyle. Simple acts such as picking at or popping your pimples can significantly set back your progress and/or lead to scarring.
Book an Appointment With the #1 Acne Specialist Dermatologist in Vienna, Virginia Today!
Are you suffering from acne? We’re here to help! Dr. Marjan Yousefi is the top acne specialist dermatologist in Vienna, Virginia, offering in-office treatments and at-home remedies for successful acne management. Call us today at 703-255-5070 to see how she can help you with your acne!